Donate Today to Help Hurricane Sandy Victims.
100% of your Donations will go to Hurricane Sandy Relief.
The Avon Rotary club of CT is Bringing a truckload of supplies to the Zion Lutheran church this Sunday. We need volunteers to give them a warm reception and help the church to receive this relief for Hurricane Sandy victims. Please let me know if you can help. 973-390-4719
Please look at your calendars This Saturday November 24th,
The five clubs will meet at 9 am Turtle Circle at Father Capodonno Blvd across the street from Hunter Avenue in the parking lot. If you need directions please let me know. We are still in the short term phase.
Please bring Masks, Gloves, Garbage Bags, Brooms, Hammers and other material you can think of.
We will be doing clean up and tearing down sheet rock etc.
ALL South Shore Rotarians please respond to this email if you can be there.
5 club committee from each club please let me know the status of your clubs and have your members contact you directly and then you contact me.
Any one that has homes or businesses that need help being cleaned out etc. please send me a list ASAP so I can have it organized for Saturday. Please confirm that they will be there Saturday and get Phone Number as well as the address
This past Friday, memebers of the 5 Rotary clubs and high school volunteers gathered at the Community Resource Center on Victory Blvd and packaged 1000 Turkey Baskets. On Saturday morning, with the help of many volunteers in addition to the Rotarians, these baskets were delievered to over 400 individuals and organizations on Staten Island.
This is an annual event that the 5 Rotary Clubs of Staten Island participate in together. It was also covered by NY1 last year:
This weekend we had Rotarians show up from all five clubs on Staten Island along with NYC, and quite a few from down south. We manned food stations in various areas around Staten Island and pitched in by helping clean out and gut homes. Here are some pics. The Hurricane Sandy clean-up is moving along. while it seems insurmountable local Staten Islanders and volunteers from all over are pitching in and helping to move things along.
Scouts from across Staten Island will be collecting food and cleaning supplies as part of our Scouting for Food effort tomorrow. All food and cleaning supplies collected by Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts tomorrow will be delivered directory to Project Hospitality.
Scouts will be at the following stores from about 9 AM to 3 PM
· Shoprite – 2424 Hylan Blvd In the morning Scouts from Pack 1, which meets at Saint Christopher Church, and in the afternoon Scouts from Pack and Troop 25/125, which meets at Saint Andrews Church in Richmond Town, will be collecting donations.
· Pathmark – 3501 Amboy Rd In the morning Scouts from Pack 132, from Holy Child Church in Annadale, and in the afternoon from Pack 6, which meets at Eltingville Lutheran Church, will be collecting donations.
· Pathmark – 2875 Richmond Ave In the morning Scouts from Pack and Troop 150, who is sponsored by the Concerned Parents of Great oKills and meets at PS 32, will be collecting donations.
· Keyfood – 778 Manor Rd In the morning Scouts from Pack and Troop 37, which meet at Saint Teresa Church, and in the afternoon they will have Scouts from Pack and Troop 118 who meet at the Jewish Community Center will be collecting donations.
These stores will have units ONLY from about 9 AM to noon
· Stop & Shop – 2754 Hylan Blvd will have Scouts from Pack and Troop 41 who meet at Saint Clare’s Church will be collecting donations.
· Keyfood – 450 Forest Ave will have Scouts from Troop 77 who meet at Our Lady Good Counsel Church and Troop 74 which meets at Sacred Heart Church will be collecting donations.
I hope you can stop by one of these stores tomorrow to support this year’s Scouting for Food effort.
If you know of a family that needs help post it here. If you can let us know their contact information and their needs we will try to pass it along to someone that can help. Leave a comment and let us know. We’re listening.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING REBUILDING OF STATEN ISLAND
(PROVIDED BY SIBOR.. STATEN ISLAND BOARD OF REALTORS)
Let us help you rebuild!
Yesterday, several leaders of the Staten Island business community met to form a coalition to guide those who have been severely
affected by the storm. REBUILD SI has prepared an informational package with available assistance and useful tips for residents and
businesses affected by Hurricane Sandy. We will be distributing these packets door-to-door next week (if you'd like to volunteer to
help out, click the "volunteer" button above), but we urge to start spreading the word now:
When you begin demolition, repairs, renovation or reconstruction, please keep these important tips in mind:
1) Before you begin demolition, photograph all damage and file a claim with your insurance company and FEMA. If your home is in unlivable condition, make sure power, water and gas has been turned off before starting demolition, and please use extreme caution.
2)Verify that your contractor is licensed and registered with the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. You can look them up here. If they are not registered, DO NOT HIRE THEM!
3) You can download a standard contract here. Use this contract as your agreement with your contractor.
4) Verify what your contractor is bonded for, and make sure their insurance is current for the duration of your repairs! Most only hold a $15,000 bond. That may not be enough for the repairs you need. Look for contractors who hold larger bonds.
5) DO NOT under any circumstances hire out of state contractors. If they are not registered with NYC Department of Consumer Affairs and you will likely get ripped off. Be diligent, be educated, and review any contracts closely before committing. If something is questionable in a contract or if a contractor requires a large deposit prior to starting the job, please contact the Department of Consumer Affairs (dial 311).
For more information on local contractors, or to find someone to conduct a damage assessment, please call the NARI-Staten Island
Home Improvement Contractors Office at (718) 356-2323
If you require a builder, please call the Building Industry Association of NYC, Inc. at (718) 720-3070
If you are a business and require a generator or sump pump, please complete this application here, and fax it back to SIEDC at 718-477-0681 or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not have fax or internet access, please call 718-477-1400 and we will be happy to assist you.
If you need temporary housing or office space, please call Staten Island Board of Realtors (SIBOR) at (718) 979-0007
If you need assistance from licensed NYC electricians, please call the Association of Electrical Contractors (AEC) at (718) 752-0800
If you are a business and need a U.S. Small Business Administration Loan, please call the Staten Island Small Business Development
Center at CSI at 718-982-2560
If you are a business with other issues or concerns regarding the Hurricane Sandy Relief effort, please contact the Staten Island
Chamber of Commerce at (718) 727-1900, or contact the Staten Island Economic Development Corp. (SIEDC) at (718) 477-1400